Donnerstag, 18. Juni 2009

The Obama Factor

At the Amerikahaus, Simon Inou was in constant motion, organizing the last details for the Radio Afrika & Co celebration of the inauguration of Barack Obama, a consortium of NGO’s representing the migrant communities in Vienna supported by the U.S. Embassy.

We caught him in the final moments before the festivities were to begin. The inauguration of Barack Obama was, without question, a day of days.

“For our generation, in our Africa countries, there are no statesmen who have done anything like this,” Inou said, clearly moved, reaching for just the right words. “It’s unbelievable! The picture of a statesmen…, someone who gives you hope that you can reach the goal that you commit yourself to achieve!”

Even after more  a decade in Vienna, Inou feels racism as a constant presence, defining what is possible for him and others of African descent. The experience of Vienna International School teacher Mike Brennan, beaten by Vienna police on the platform in the subway at Spittelau on Feb. 11, is only the latest in a long list of incidents. The ZARA Racism Report reports 406 reported incidents of racism in Austria in 2007 alone. Assuming many go unreported, the actual number is surely even higher.

In a parallel he sees with Obama, Inou spent his childhood in a developing country and trained himself in the ways of the West. Born in Cameroon, he studied sociology at university and has since spent a lifetime in journalism. He has lived in Austria since 1995, serving as chief editor of Radio Afrika International from 1995 to 2005, and now founding head of the web portal Afrika Info (www.afrika.info), covering immigrants of African descent living in German-speaking countries.

Barack Obama has changed his view of what is possible. When Inou tries to imagine how this has could have happened, he comes, inevitably to Obama’s mother, Stanley Ann Dunham Sutoro.

“When I think of this woman, this young mother, and what she managed to accomplish, that she had so much strength to get from Kansas, I am overwhelmed,” he says, It’s so convincing, the way she just got things done.”

But the biggest thing for him is feeling that his reality is being considered.

“That’s the difference,” he said, “representing the values of the minorities.” But it’s not affirmative action. “With him, I believe that his skin color hasn’t played such a big role. It’s a picture of someone who has accomplished something.”

He paused, acknowledging a visitor who came over to great him, and another who haled him from the doorway. Then, he turned back, apologizing, and caught my gaze.

“Personally, it all very emotional,” he said. “I never dreamed in my wildest dreams that something like this could happen in my lifetime.”

5 Kommentare:

  1. Racism and discrimination comes in all shapes and sizes. Historically, in the USA, when we think of racism, people usually think of African Americans (I hate that term, I just think of all of us as Americans in assorted colors). But there are other, less publicized forms.
    One of my dearest friends is a funny, kind, intelligent and compassionate man, who happens to be gay. Until I spent a week with him in New York City, I never realized the innumerable small, contemptible things that were said and done to him on a daily basis. His only defense is to walk away, unless he wants to chance being physically attacked.
    Another friend is from Austria. He is talented, creative, generous to a fault, well traveled, articulate and well read. Traveling often in the USA, he speaks English very well, but of course with an accent. While paying for a meal in a restaurant, he was joking with the cashier when a man behind him, on hearing his accent actually said to him, “You’re a Nazi?” My friend quietly answered “No, I am an Austrian”. The man, who was with several other men said, “Oh, a super Nazi”. And they all started to laugh. Again, unless my friend, completely alone, wished to be physically injured, all he could do was leave as quickly and quietly as possible. When he told me, I was incensed, but this is not something that was new to him.

    I personally no longer see anyone as cocoa, vanilla, cafe au late, or pistachio, small or big, right or left, gay or not, German, British, Swahili, Asian.

    Just people, that’s all.

    Romy

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank you for sharing this story, Andreas. Some days here in Oakland, I can almost glimpse a reality where racism does not come between people. On Election day 2008, that reality felt so very, very close. Our president is a constitutional law scholar, educated in our finest universities, more versed in the fundamental philosophical underpinnings of our democracy than most people in America-- whose mother still resides in a small village in Kenya. But unfortunately, he came in at a time when the country is ina shambles! Well, if alcoholics have to hit rock bottom before they can commit to change, I suppose our countries can ccommit to change now--

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I have a young grandson of Jamaican descent. His mum has asked that I do a copy of my family tree for him so that he can see some of his roots. For curiosity's sake, I looked on the internet, just to check on his unusual family surname from two generations ago and something popped up and hit me like a ton of hot bricks, from the time of the American Slave Trade. I discussed it with my Jamaican friend at work and she agreed it is heartbreaking....but absolutely true and unavoidable. It has made me think deep and hard about the struggle his family had.
    Daily, I work with jews, catholics, protestants, africans, asians, arabs, gays and lesbians. I am proud to call them my friends. We are one world.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. The beauty about Obama being president is that he is no longer seen as a black man and black president, but as a man and a president. His color no longer seems to matter. You may or may not agree with his policies, but color isn't a factor. It is truly a sign of change.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I am not American but I have to agree that Obama is the best way forward !

    AntwortenLöschen