Samstag, 20. Juni 2009

Hofburg




The Hofburg is a palace in Vienna, Austria, which has housed some of the most powerful people in Austrian history, including the Habsburg dynasty, rulers of the Austro-Hungarian empire. It currently serves as the official residence of the President of Austria. It was the Habsburg's principal winter residence, while Schönbrunn Palace was their preferred summer residence. The Palace was the birthplace of Marie Antoinette in 1755.
The Hofburg area has been the documented seat of government since 1279 for various empires and republics.
The Hofburg faces the Heldenplatz ordered under the reign of Emperor Francis Joseph, as part of what was to become a Kaiserforum that was never completed.
Numerous architects have executed work at the Hofburg as it expanded, notably the Italian architect-engineer Filiberto Luchese (the Leopoldischiner Trakt), Lodovico Burnacini and Martino and Domenico Carlone, the Baroque architects Lukas von Hildebrandt and Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach (the Reichschancelry Wing and the Winter Riding School), Johann Fischer von Erlach (the library), and the architects of the grandiose Neue Burg built between 1881 and 1913.

16 Kommentare:

  1. My God, the statues take my breath away!!!

    Romy

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. WOW, that's so beautiful with all the lights around it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. mmmmmm, I love this place, I could life there, without any problems, just give me a broom closet and I am happy ;-) :-))))) I am so born, at the wrong place, wrong time! ;-) But we've got Tulips!! LOL

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Oef, the middle one looks like my dog ( jack russel )

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Thamar, I like your sense of humor! :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. The Hofburg when illuminated takes on a golden mantle of light. It is a breathtaking sight. Ditto the Stephansdom, the Staatsoper, Parlament, Rathaus and Burgtheatre out on the ring. One of my favorite 'evening ' things to do in Vienna and it's mostly to burn off the calories from the good food or sober up from the wine is to take a slow walk along the Ringstrasse and enjoy the beautiful architecture. I sort of wallow in it. On the last night of my stay it's almost compulsory. It feels magical.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Beautiful pics, I want to go back!

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Rod and I are in Wien 30th Sept to 4th Oct. anyone else out there then????

    AntwortenLöschen