Freitag, 26. Juni 2009

Indian Wedding Horses




The groom, leaves for the wedding venue riding a decorated horse or elephant. This is a very colorful and grand ceremony. The groom is dressed in a sherwani (long jacket) and 'churidars' (fitted trousers). On his head he wears a 'sehra' (turban) with a 'kalgi' (brooch) pinned onto it. The turban usually has flowers extending from it to keep the grooms face covered during the wedding ceremony.
Before he departs, his relatives apply the ceremonial 'tilak' on his forehead and his sister feeds the horse or elephant sweetened grain. The 'baraat' (consisting of the groom seated on the horse or elephant, and relatives and friends of the groom) is headed by the dancing of the congregated folks. Accompanied by the rhythm of the north Indian dholak, the baraat reaches the place of the wedding.
Upon arriving at the venue of the wedding, the groom is welcomed by a welcome song. This is called "talota". Then the groom knocks on the door with his sword and enters.

8 Kommentare:

  1. WOW !!!! What a great ceremony. The elephants are awesome, the flower covered groom is amazing, and the pink horse? Whoa! that one stopped me!

    Romy

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. The whole idea is wonderful, but in all their time, when they were thinking how to make a beautiful combination, they forgot to feed the horse! :-(

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I want one :-) nice to have in my garden :-) Good morning my sweet elephant,when I look out of the window when I wake up. YES, I can see my self standing there and watch my elephant eating all my trees and plants ;-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Hi Thamar,
    I right away thought of you when I saw the pink hooves! And the pink horse, though it is a little thin.

    Romy

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I have ridden elephants a few times. One time, I talked to the owner/handler for a long time about his elephant. He said the elephant destroyed parts of his barn on a regular basis, not being mean, but just being so big and strong. Also, there is really no fence that can truly keep an elephant in if he wants to get out. The feed bills were unbelievable and it was hard to find a vet sometimes. You have to have a huge truck and trailer to move the elephant and he liked to destroy the trailer too! Taking care of the elephant was a day and night job. The owner could never go away, even for a day because there was no one else to take care of his elephant.

    I think the elephant owned him instead of him owning the elephant.

    Romy

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Wirklich 1001 Nacht....schön, dass es verschiedene Völker und Gebräuche gibt,
    hoffe, alles ist für die Elefanten ertragbar?

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Das war jetzt sehr schön gesagt! Genau so denke ich auch!

    AntwortenLöschen