Montag, 8. Februar 2010

Reader?

Dearest Friends,
I am 3/4 done with the book you all have done so much to shape -- I cannot thank you enough for the invaluable advice, details, clarification, and tolerance of all of my questions! I am wondering if I could find a reader for the first 50 pages of the book, to check for any glaring errors related to Piber, Lipizzaners, the SRS, etc. I know it's quite a favor to ask, but (as you might suspect) I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to getting things right (though I take liberties with certain things ... like horses talking in complete sentences!). I am about to launch into the Anschluss, the arrival of Podhajsky, and my hero-horse hitting a bit of a wall in his training, and I'd like to know soon if there are any major changes I need to make in the first part of the book. I would love to have an expert eye on the material -- it's in English, I'm afraid!

All roads seem to be leading me to Vienna ... I'm on the jury of this year's Goethe Prize (for outstanding translation from German) and all of the novels seem to be set in the city...

Many, many thanks in advance for your consideration....
Annie Wedekind

7 Kommentare:

  1. Raises hand!
    Do you want a point of view from a 13 year old? I'm sure my daughter would love to read a few pages and she does have some knowledge of Lipizzans.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I'm willing to proofread it for you. Re Anschluss and Podhajsky... Just remember that Podhajsky was appointed as Director of the School by the German army (Wehrmacht) about a year after Anschluss...

    John

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I would be more than happy to read it from a teacher's viewpoint but you probably need someone else for the picky details on Lippizaners.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Hello Annie, Congratulations on the progression of your childrens book about the experiences of Favory Mercurio. I am sure it will be an enormous success. The history of Piber and the SRS captivates a world wide audience and this lovely book of yours will recreate the interest of its history for the younger audience.
    I am an Australian equine artist and I had the good fortune to visit the SRS in Vienna and Piber in 2008 and 2009. In 2008, I was given permission to sketch the beautiful Lipizzaners at morning training, and the performances. For two weeks, I had the privilege to sit downstairs, alongside the Royal Box and study the movements and conformation of the Stallion putting it all down in sketch form.
    These sketches were the base of several paintings, which led to a prominent portrait of Conversano Dagmar and Andreas Hausberger,which now resides on the administration walls of the SRS in Vienna.
    My visit to Piber was also successful, sketching the mares and foals and photographing the Breeding Stallions. I have numerous photos of Piber and its surroundings. It is such a beautiful area of Austria.

    I have not yet made full use of these referances for painting, but would like to do so in the near future. I hope to travel to Vienna later in the year to further my studies of the Lipizanner.
    If, I could be of help to you, with illustrations for your book, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am sure Andreas Hausberger and Elisabeth Gurtler would be happy to give a referance of my work.
    I wish you much continued success for your childrens book.
    Kind regards, Judith

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Dear John,
    Thank you so much for your generous offer. If you could send me an e-mail to my personal account: anniewedekind@gmail.com, I could e-mail you the manuscript, if that works for you. Can you tell me a bit more about your experience with Lipizzaners / the history of the SRS? I'm very new to this forum so I haven't had the chance to get to know everybody. Thanks so much, again, for the offer, and best wishes from Annie

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Dear Annie,
    Herewith I offer you my help for the pre-reading. I will send you an email.
    Regards
    Atjan

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. I simply started to read, and couldn't stop... ;-) Annie, you really hit the atmosphere!

    AntwortenLöschen