Freitag, 2. September 2011

Need help on my journey

Last year, when my Paint, Mingo, died, I bought myself a 4-year-old Morab stallion, had him gelded and planned to make him my next great trail horse.  He was untrained, so I was starting from the beginning.  His name is Smokin' Cole Train.

Training went well.  A week after starting to ride, I already had Cole on the trail, and he enjoyed it as much as I did.  I rode a little in the arena last fall, but with weekends and a lot of vacation time, I spent most of it on the trail.

When the weather got bad and the days got short, I brought him back into the arena on a regular basis.  It was slow going, at first.  The adjustment was tough for both of us.  A few months later, an amazing thing happened.  My little horse (14.2) transformed into something I never expected.  His trot became magical!  I spent several months riding him and seeing people's reaction to his movement before I could get my sister to video him for me.  Not only was I shocked by what I saw, he kept getting better and better.  I struggled to figure out how to ride it--there is so much impulsion--unlike any other horse I have ever ridden.

Come spring, I found myself back on the trail.  I can't resist trail riding.  It is my passion.  I have only been working him in the arena once or twice a week for months, now.

I've been told I should sell him and make a lot of money, but I know that I will probably never have such a talented horse, again.  Besides, he is a great trail horse! 

This winter, I am trying to work up a plan to school him in dressage.  My disadvantage is a lack of money.  There is no way I can afford lessons or a trainer.  I have to do this on my own.  As I have no intention of competing, I can take my time and just enjoy the journey.

Anyway, the reason I am writing this is that I could use some advice as to good books that might aid in my journey.  I have some and, for the most part, I understand the theories behind classical dressage.  I have always trained my horses in that direction, but we never got far because as soon as the weather warmed up, I was back out on the trail. 

With a horse with so much natural talent, I feel I would be doing a disservice to both of us not to see how far we can go. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

7 Kommentare:

  1. Two things that will be very helpful: check out e-trak on USDF http://usdf.org/e-trak/ and practice showing and get real judge's feedback at www.horseshow.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Check out the books at www.XenophonPress.com
    and
    at this recommended reading list:
    http://williamsdressage.com/id5.html
    Specifically,
    THE COMPLETE TRAINING OF HORSE AND RIDER
    GYMNASIUM OF THE HORSE
    DRESSSAGE IN THE FRENCH TRADITION
    AND
    SCHOOL OF HORSEMANSHIP PART II
    are all good choices.
    Good luck

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. In my opinion (as little or as much as that may be worth), "Dressage" simply means the training and schooling of horse and rider to work in harmony. Since you have no plans to show or compete, you will be unhindered by the demands and expectations of others - you can enjoy the fluidity and companionship created by true classical dressage. Therefore any book which explains the basic classical dressage moves will be to your benefit. Take time, relax and enjoy - the whole world is just beginning and learning goes on forever!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. It is often prooved fact that one cannot learn to ride from the books, however Waldemar Seunig said it well: A book will not make the rider good or bad, but it can make the rider better or worse.

    So, my list consists of the following favourite books (some already mentioned before):

    Waldemar Seunig: Horsemanship - A Comprehensive Book on Training the Horse and It's Rider (in my opinion the absolute No. 1 among equine literature)
    Alois Pohajsky: The Complete Training of Horse and Rider
    Wilhelm Müseler: Riding Logic
    Udo Bürger and Otto Zietschmann: The Rider Forms the Horse
    if you speak german also the german military book on riding logic titled H.Dv.12
    Further on I recommend some DVD's as it is often easier to get the idea what should it look like:

    - All DVD's from dr. Reiner Klimke and all from Ingrid Klimke (http://www.pferdia.tv),
    - All DVD's from Oberbereiter Arthur Kottas (http://www.ashantifarm.com/products/videos.html).

    On top, after you study all this, I really recomment to watch other people work with good trainers - it normally costs nothing, but one can learn a lot.

    Good luck on your journey.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I agree with all the above books mentioned ... another I came across and found to be most invaluable and wish I could give as a gift to all my clients and dressage friends is "The Building Blocks of Training" by Debby Lush ... found it on Amazon as I could not get a copy here in South Africa... being clasically trained and now working with all types of horses from warmbloods to THBs, from very talented to not so talented, this book is great as I often refer back to it when presented with a new challenge :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Thank you everyone for your advice. I have a lot of reading ahead of me! You can't imagine how much I appreciate it. I really like working with this horse, and I believe we are going to have loads of fun.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. good luck with reading, with your horse and lots lots of fun on this inspiring journey :)))

    AntwortenLöschen