Mittwoch, 17. März 2010

Bred/Trained for Battle Or No?

Andreas,

In an interview for Fox News (I think it was) during the last US tour of the SRS, the reporter made a comment about Lipizzans being bred and trained for battle. You told her that that was not true and that Lipizzans had never been used for battle. Paraphrased, of course, as I cannot find the video on YouTube anyhow.

Anyhow, would you please verify this? Were Lipizzans bred to be used as calvary mounts? Were they used for battle?

6 Kommentare:

  1. never, Lipizzans were bred for parades, carusells, carriages and for the SRS!
    I even think that the airs were never used to fight the enamy, but to show on parades and other occasions on the court.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. That's what I thought :)

    Thanks, Andreas

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. That's very interesting, because they seem quite steady, brave characters and I assumed that trait was bred for battle too! Which breeds did the Austrian cavalry use for battle?

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. The Habsburgs had Nonius, Gidran, Przedswit and Furioso.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Mine wasn't steady or brave tonight when he saw a plastic bag blowing around next to the arena. He was about to leg it! He is, however, allowing me to ride him whilst carrying a lance, practising for working equitation. :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Yah, my mare is silly like that too, lipizzan :) I can get within 3 feet of a bonfire and chase deer with her, but heaven forbid a leaf should blow around her feet! ROFL!

    AntwortenLöschen